Productivity Tools
General, Project, Finance...
Freelance Forums
Discuss anything freelance...

Copyrights

General discussions about freelancing.

Copyrights

Postby Primula » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:07 pm

A question for the freelance writers here, how do you protect your content? I am thinking of using a paid service, the type where they monitor the web and alert you of any issues.
Primula

Re: Copyrights

Postby BorntoWin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Copyrite infringement seems to be a big problem online. It seems like people think it is okay to copy-and-paste any content they want to. It makes sense to use a service to monitor that. Are those services very expensive?
BorntoWin

Postby brainbender » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:16 am

What content are you protecting? When you write for hire, generally the copyright goes to the buyer. Are you worried about protecting your rights until it's paid for or wanting to protect your portfolio site?

I don't pay for any service as I think it's a waste of money. I do have google alerts set for my keywords and I will randomly do a search for phrases from my content. Then all you need usually is to serve a DMCA notice on the host and it gets taken down really fast.
brainbender

Postby ChrisS. » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 pm

If I find a piece of my content without a credit being given or total plagarism, I write an email requesting a fix. If they don't respond, I contact their hosting company. But it is a pain so I don't do it often.
ChrisS.

Postby Timeuser » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:19 pm

I didn't know that there were services out there that could help you to monitor your work and make sure people weren't stealing your content. I'd love to know some of their website addresses if anyone can provide some.
Timeuser

Postby SuzeP » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 am

You can do a paid service for that, and it's also a good idea to go to Google and set up Google alerts for your content. If you set up an alert for a topic or the title of your articles, or even snippets of the text of your articles, Google will send you an alert to your email if someone posts anything containing any of your alert keywords. The only downside to that is if your alerts aren't really specific, you will get alerts not related to your content as well, but it is free and a little extra protection. :D
SuzeP

Return to General Freelance