Productivity Tools
General, Project, Finance...
Freelance Forums
Discuss anything freelance...

How Do You Write Articles Quickly?

General discussions about freelancing.

How Do You Write Articles Quickly?

Postby BorntoWin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I consider myself to be a good writer, but I am anything but fast. It takes me a while to write a good article. I've noticed that there are many who want several articles a day. How do you accomplish that? Are there any tricks or secrets?
BorntoWin

Re: How Do You Write Articles Quickly?

Postby Flo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm

I write my articles pretty quickly but it really does depend on the subject, length, and amount of research required. If the client also has very picky specifications then it will take even longer. Some days I can only find the time to write 2 and sometimes I can write 8 or 9. It really just depends on a variety of factors.
Flo

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:26 am

If you have a hard time with speed, there are a couple things that may help. One thing is to create some article templates. I find these really helpful if I have to do a number of articles on the same topic as I can research once and fill in the outlines of my templates. Then I sit and write all the articles boom, boom, boom as it's mostly filling out the outline.

Another way is to use Dragon Naturally Speaking, a voice recognition software. Once trained, you can spit out an article in 10 minutes or so. Then just proof and edit after if needed.
Phoebe

Postby Carolyn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:18 pm

If I have a series of articles to write, I do all the research first, organizing main points for each article as I go along. Then I start out by writing my introductory paragraph for each article. (Sometimes I also write my conclusion too so both intro and conclusion flow.) Then since I have already organized my main points, I find it easy to elaborate on each one.
Carolyn

Postby Sookie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I find the following helps speed up my writing: When writing, I put xxx's wherever my mind draws a blank, rather than pausing and letting the blank take over. Then afterwards, I go back to the xxx's and fill them in.
Sookie

Postby freebird » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Honestly, you don't. This is how mistakes are made. I see people on the net saying they can bang out work in as little as 15 minutes. Most of these people are fibbing and not proofing their work. I would rather take longer and have a completed piece without mistakes.
freebird

Postby sommelier » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I use this tool called Focus Booster. It's a timer that counts down from 25, then it has a 5 min. break timer, for a total of 30 mins. I can bang out an article in the 25 mins., then I proofread it in the 5 min. break. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I go under the timer, but mostly I'm on target.
sommelier

Postby Flo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

I do like the idea of having a template but it's not something that I've done before. I am certain that templates can be beneficial in terms of time. What I do is do my research and sort of arrange as I go, if that makes sense.
Flo

Postby Indy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:32 pm

I find that if I break up doing the research and the writing, that the writing goes much more quickly. Even if I'm not consciously thinking about the writing, it seems as though my mind works with the material, and when I do write, the pieces just seem to fall into place.
Indy

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 am

I like to use a program like Inspiration that allows me to brainstorm and then go back and fill in the areas I most want to develop. It's easy to expand and condense. Anything I don't use I can develop into another set of articles later.
Joe

Next

Return to General Freelance