Productivity Tools
General, Project, Finance...
Freelance Forums
Discuss anything freelance...

Where Do You Do Your Research

General discussions about freelancing.

Where Do You Do Your Research

Postby Carolyn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Before I begin writing a series of articles I always do some research, even if it's a topic I'm familiar with. I do this to get some fresh ideas to make it easier to write. I use the internet of course, but I also try to visit the library and check out books if it's a project that calls for lots of articles.
Carolyn

Re: Where Do You Do Your Research

Postby Libby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm

I have a fairly substantial personal library, and since I generally only write about topics that I have some background in, I'm usually able to reference books that I have. It's always good to see what the internet has to offer too.
Libby

Postby Flo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:56 pm

I do most of my research online unless it's a topic that I have a book on. Some topics I do not need to research but of course it depends on the topic of the article. Some pieces I write are opinions, others are based on factual evidence and need citations.
Flo

Postby Carolyn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:00 pm

I've also used the "Dummies" books or "Idiots" guides if I need a lot of general information. They're good if you're writing lots of blog posts or articles about one specific topic.
Carolyn

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:45 am

When I have to write anything, whether for myself or a client, I do almost all my research online. Occasionally I will go to the library, if I need to, but it's rare that I have to do that for research. If you want a good site that will give you a tons of sites instantly, try http://www.factbites.com - it gives you a bunch of facts but also links to the sites so you can research super fast.
Phoebe

Postby BorntoWin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm

I do my research online, though there have been times that I have had some trouble finding much that is relevant. I had never heard of factbites,com, so thanks for sharing the link. I'll check it out.
BorntoWin

Postby Flo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:03 pm

One thing that you can do is go to Wikipedia and look at their list of resources. Even if you don't trust the info on the Wiki site, at least there are resources at the bottom you can use to find accurate info.
Flo

Postby sommelier » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:27 am

You all introduced me to a few new resources. Thanks! :D

I mostly research on the web. I try to research using .edu or .gov sites first, and if I can't find any reliable information there, I go to organization sites and work from there.
sommelier

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 am

I, too, have a considerable personal library. I stop by Goodwill every few days and pick up all sorts of reference materials for $.75 and $1.50 each.
Joe

Return to General Freelance