Productivity Tools
General, Project, Finance...
Freelance Forums
Discuss anything freelance...

Top issues?

General discussions about freelancing.

Top issues?

Postby Indy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:52 pm

What do you think the top issues are for new freelance writers to deal with? (Doing the writing is probably the least of all the concerns.) What has been your top concern so far?
Indy

Re: Top issues?

Postby Flo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:04 pm

I would think that biggest issue for a new freelancer is going to be related to finding a steady supply of clients and making enough money to pay the bills with the clients that they can find.
Flo

Postby Phoebe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 pm

I think the top issues for new freelancers starting out is knowing who to listen to and having confidence in themselves. You get so many people telling you inaccurate things like you have to go cheap in order to attract any clients or that you have to compete with writers who can barely speak English. You have to have the confidence to ask for what you deserve and go after the people who are more than willing to pay for your craft.
Phoebe

Postby brainbender » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 am

I think the biggest issue I see with almost every new freelancer is that they take on far more work than they should. They forget to take into account the unexpected and allow themselves some cushion for deadlines. I've seen many a freelancer burn out too quickly due to this.
brainbender

Postby ChrisS. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:34 pm

For me when I started out it was having enough confidence in my abilities to charge a "fair to me" price for my work. I ended up working for too little. The second thing is finding clients. Getting the first few clients when you use a site like oDesk or Elance for instance can be difficult.
ChrisS.

Postby Timeuser » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

I have to say that finding good clients, and I emphasis GOOD clients is very difficult. It takes a great deal of work, but once you find a good client you can often make good money. Of course you can't work for just one client you have to keep looking for new clients all the time.
Timeuser

Return to General Freelance