For Employers
Articles, Suggestions...
Freelance Job Sites
Developers, Designers, Writers...
Productivity Tools
General, Project, Finance...
Freelance Forums
Discuss anything freelance...

What Motivated You to Start Freelancing?

General discussions about freelancing.

What Motivated You to Start Freelancing?

Postby Sookie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm curious: why did you get into freelancing? Was it by choice or circumstance or a bit of both?

Me? I started freelancing because I got tired of being part of the rat race. Felt stifling. So I decided to give freelancing a try. I'm not gonna say it doesn't come with its own challenges, but I'd choose it over a 9-5 any day.
Sookie

Re: What Motivated You to Start Freelancing?

Postby brainbender » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:16 pm

I started freelance writing because I needed more income but didn't want or have time to take a second job with set hours. My full-time job (at that time) had irregular hours which made it impossible, plus I didn't want to be gone from my kids for that long.
brainbender

Postby ilance » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:02 am

I thought of wanting to work on my own, and to feel how it's like to be my own boss. Besides I get to manage my own working hours and rest periods. I even get to spend time with my family at home.
ilance

Postby Sookie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:31 am

ilance wrote:I thought of wanting to work on my own, and to feel how it's like to be my own boss. Besides I get to manage my own working hours and rest periods. I even get to spend time with my family at home.

Yeah, I felt like that too, the desire to work solo, be the boss of me.

And, yes, there's also the advantage of being able to call the shots where your time and energy is concerned. I feel you also get to learn a lot about yourself.
Sookie

Postby ChrisS. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:40 am

For me it's a sideline. I do have the safety net of working part-time, but the job's not mentally challenging. I've always loved to write, so freelancing gives me the best of both worlds - writing and getting paid to do it. if I do well enough, I hope to be able to quit the other job and just do this.
ChrisS.

Postby Libby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 am

My husband hit retirement age, and I have a military pension, so I decided I wanted to scale back and work from home. I was ready to stop going to work, although I wasn't ready to stop working.
Libby

Postby maryannsbook » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm

My venture into freelancing started as a hobby in addition to my regular, part‐time job. I got contracted to write reviews on board games and was getting them sent to me for free to evaluate. Since then, I've been hired by a few other companies, and the freelancing that started as a hobby has transitioned into being the perfect fit for an occupation that I can do at home.
maryannsbook

Postby blueeyedblackbird » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:47 am

I too wanted to get out of the old 9-5 and work on my own and without a boss. The most important factor for me however was my art and giving myself the chance to get it out there and really go for it. In my job before I began freelancing there was simply no time for creativity. It became essential for me to move on and do what I loved.
blueeyedblackbird

Postby Patty » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 am

I believe there are many people like me who were laid off during the last financial crisis and needed to find something to do. This is what started me on my freelancing. I thought that I could put my programming and computer analytical experience to good use. I'm in my mid 50s so getting another full time job seemed remote in 2008 and the freelancing was originally a way to tie me over until I got another full time job. But now I enjoy the freelancing so much, that the thought of going back to work for someone else is distasteful.
Patty

Postby Curlytops » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 am

I decided to start freelancing because I am at home much of the day. I don’t want the demands of a 9-5 job. The flexibility of freelancing allows me to work when I want and from home.
Curlytops

Next

Return to General Freelance