Productivity Tools
General, Project, Finance...
Freelance Forums
Discuss anything freelance...

Advice for New Freelancers

General discussions about freelancing.

Re: Advice for New Freelancers

Postby pletts407 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:03 am

Don't get too technical during pitches to client prospects, especially if your a developer and the client isn't. Tell them how you're going to improve their business and their ROI. Focus more on the benefits they'll receive from working with you and less on the technical details.
pletts407

Postby onlinerewardz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:38 pm

well i too would not advice anybody to quit his or her job because of freelancing.to me is something that i do on a part time basis because i always get project once in a while however i am not saying that one cannot do it full time though.for new freelancing i think that it is better to start from micro freelancing sites and do it on a part time basis
onlinerewardz

Postby Rachel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:05 am

My advice to new freelancers is to act bigger than they are. I don't mean to be deceptive, but embellishing a few details could be the difference between landing that big contract and having some extra time to do a few household chores.

I really don't think of myself as a freelancer but rather a small company with extensive experience and the power to be a game changer for anyone who hires me. I believe that mentality exudes confidence and portrays me as larger than I really am sitting here in my small office at home. From the outside no one could tell the difference between me and a design shop with a dozen employees.

I have several contract freelancers I work with when workloads are heavy, and I often mention them by name to my clients. I say things like, "John should have that done by Tuesday, and I can go over it with you then." My clients probably think I have a staff of employees, and I don't do anything to dissuade them from thinking that.

I also have a professional looking website with email, separate office line and fax, business cards and office hours that I keep. That to me is how any professional should operate, and just because I freelance doesn't mean I'm not a professional. Quite the contrary. I probably act more professional now that I'm on my own than when I was at the agency I worked at for 10 years. I do it because it's important. It gets me work and makes my clients happy knowing they are working with someone who takes them seriously and delivers top quality work. It's what being a freelancer in this day and age is all about.
Rachel

Postby Yasir » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:29 pm

When you are new, make sure you are working on improving mail and submitting proposal to jobs, it usually takes longer to get first few jobs, but once you start building reputation you will start seeing results....
For all your Virtual Assistant or Freelance requirements, Please visit my site at http://www.faceitpages.com/page.php?fid=13165
Yasir

Postby alportman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:12 am

I think it's important to remember that this is not a game. Freelancing is not a game. It's your life. Many people today freelance out of necessity, not by choice. If you treat freelancing as seriously as you would if you just got a job working at Google or IBM, then you will succeed. I think a lot of people see freelancing as an easy alternative to working a regular job. In reality, that could not be further from truth. Surviving as a freelancer is tough! There's no one else to assist you or to help you when things get difficult. And mark my words, they will get difficult. But if you do some planning, setup your operation as a real business, and take this seriously, then things should fall into place.

Something I'd also like to say is that I see a lot of people get into freelancing after they lose a job or can't find a job that they like. They then freelance as a bridge to their next job. It's always a means to something else. They never look at freelancing as though it could be a long-term solution.but it can be. If done right freelancing can take you to places you never imagined. In reality there is really very little difference between a freelancer and an entrepreneur. And when people think of entrepreneurs, they think of possibilities. Great entrepreneurs take ideas, some great, some not so great, and transform them into great businesses through solid execution. It's the execution part that is most important, but it's also what people think of least. I really see very little difference between building a great company as an entrepreneur and building a great business as a freelancer. But just remember it's the execution of your plan that is the most important determining factor of your success or failure.
alportman

onlineincomeseeker's tricks for newbie freelancers

Postby giftgivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Once you have decided to be a freelancer, you need to do the following:

1. Create a website/blog where your portfolio of work gets displayed and gives a sample of the quality of service you offer to potential customers.

2. Deliver quality service, and repeat customers will come back for you. Deliver more than asked for, which is what makes them come back.
giftgivers

Postby Grace Jameson » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:40 am

I think the most important thing to consider when starting a freelance business is by having the right tools and applications. In order to provide a quality and growing service, freelancers need to take advantage of these tools to stay in touch with customers and be more productive at work. Starting a business can be tough if you don’t have the right tools, especially when it comes to things like scheduling, project management, and communication. Here are some useful tools for freelancers I found which will help you a lot: http://www.timedoctor.com/biz3.0/9-of-t ... epreneurs/

-Grace
Grace Jameson

Postby Ashia01 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm

For those people who new in freelancing jobs then you should learn first on how to work using internet and also to find freelance jobs then you should search for different job sites.
Ashia01

Postby Sookie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:40 am

My advice to a new freelancer, particularly if you'll be working from home, is to make it clear to friends and family that your work time is your work time. Don't let them intrude on or undermine what you're doing because you happen to be doing it from home. Your time is no less valuable.
Sookie

Postby Ashia01 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Since you are a new Freelance I think it is advisable for you to now how to do freelancing and how you can earn from it. It is also better if you are now provide job sites that has a good list of freelancing jobs.
Ashia01

PreviousNext

Return to General Freelance